Quail Eggs with Caviar
Recipe notesThis deviled quail egg recipe is topped with ossetra caviar and makes a perfect hors d'oeuvre. Try them at your next party.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring about 4 inches of salted water to a boil. Carefully add the quail eggs to the boiling water and cook for 1 ½ minutes. Remove to the ice bath to chill.
- Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Once cooled, carefully peel all of the eggs and cut each in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks from the egg halves and transfer them to a food processor fitted with a steel blade, reserving the whites of the quail eggs.
- Add the mayonnaise, crème fraîche, mustard, and lemon zest, and process the mixture to a fine paste. Season carefully to taste with salt, bearing in mind that the quail eggs will be topped with caviar.
- Transfer the deviled yolk mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip and pipe the filling into the quail egg white halves. Transfer to your serving platter then top each with a small amount of caviar. Serve immediately.