Venison with Wild Mushroom Port Sauce
D'Artagnan | Yield: 2
Our easy recipe for seared venison is accompanied by a simple and rich pan sauce with mushrooms and port.
- 4 venison medallions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce dried black trumpet mushrooms (reconstituted in hot water)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons duck and veal demi-glace
- 1/2 cup Tawny Port
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle venison with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add venison to a hot skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Set aside.
- Drain the mushrooms and save the liquid. In fat remaining in skillet sauté mushrooms with garlic, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Add a little mushroom liquid, demi-glace, Port, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes, and stir in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide sauce among 4 plates. Place 2 venison medallions a top sauce on each plate.