Poussins au Riesling
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 2
This recipe for braised baby chicken with white wine, mushrooms, and bacon is supremely comforting. Mashed Yukon golds and a nice salad make it a meal.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 5 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 Whole Poussins
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 pack Organic Chef’s Mix Mushrooms, trimmed and rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine, we used Riesling
- 1 container Veal Demi-Glace
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium cocotte over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the rendered fat in the pan. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the bacon fat.
- Pat poussins dry with paper towels and place them in the cocotte. Sear them on all sides until golden brown all over, about 10 minutes. Remove poussins to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pan, sauté about 2 minutes, then add mushrooms, turning to coat in the fat. Continue to sauté about 5 minutes then add reserved bacon and thyme. Sauté about one minute more then add wine, demi-glace, and water. Bring mixture to a boil, then add poussins back to the pot along with any juices that accumulated on the plate. Cover the cocotte and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and raise the heat to 375 degrees F. Cook uncovered for 45-50 minutes more.
- Remove cocotte from the oven and place on a burner. Carefully remove poussins to a cutting board to rest. Meanwhile, heat the cocotte over high heat. Reduce sauce until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in heavy cream. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve poussins with a generous helping of sauce. Garnish with parsley.