Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
Yield 8 SERVINGS
- 4 cups fresh brioche cubes (about ½”)
- 2 lbs organic chef's mix mushrooms, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 10 chives, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup grated hard, aged cheese (such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or Mimolette)
Recipe notesThis simple savory bread pudding recipe is versatile and pairs well with meat or poultry and can be baked in a large dish or individual ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium-sized casserole, about 9x12 inches.
- Spread brioche cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, turning once, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon black truffle butter. Add shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushroom liquid has evaporated and mushrooms turn golden (about 15 minutes). Stir in thyme, parsley and chives. Cook about 1 minute more, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, milk, eggs, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in mushroom mixture and bread cubes, turning to coat. Let rest for about 10 minutes, then pour into prepared dish.
- Bake until slightly firm to the touch, about 30 – 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons truffle butter, drizzle evenly over bread pudding just before serving.