Poussin Rapallo with Figs
Yield Serves 1-2
- 1 semi-boneless poussin
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 6-8 pitted olives (green or black Moroccan)
- 8 figs, dried, fresh, or combination (can replace with prunes)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup wine vinegar
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers with juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼- ⅓ cup white wine depending on how much sauce is desired
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Recipe notesThis simple recipe pairs quick-cooking poussin with sweet figs and pungent olives with juicy effects. Easy to scale up, it can be a lovely meal for two or a memorable dish at a dinner party buffet.
- Combine marinade ingredients: olive oil, wine vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, capers, salt, and pepper. Mix the poussin with fruit, garlic, and olives in a bowl, then add the marinade. Put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the poussin in an oven-proof pan and pour the marinade over it. Then pour the wine over the poussin and sprinkle it with the brown sugar and chopped parsley.
- Cook for 25-30 min (or until internal temp is 165 degrees), basting a few times during the baking.
- Cut poussin in half and serve with the fruit and juices. Great over rice or orzo. The juices are so good that you’ll want to spoon them up.