Whole Semi-Boneless Free-Range Poussin
- Whole poussin, partially boned out
- Humanely raised to 3 - 4 weeks
- All-vegetarian diet: corn and soy
- No antibiotics, no hormones
- 25% less fat than commercially-raised chicken
- Serves one adult
- Product of USA
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast, Grill, Poach, Braise, Barbecue, Pan-Fry
Cooking Tips: Semi-boneless poussin can be cooked whole, stuffed, or very easily cut into parts. The mild flesh can take all manner of seasoning. Butter or duck fat rubbed all over the outside helps crisp the skin of these lean birds. Being semi-boneless, they are easy to pan-sear flat and then finish in the oven for a crispy result, or put right on a grill. Poussin are cooked when an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast and thigh registers 165 degrees F and juices run clear.
D'Artagnan is dedicated to finding farmers that share our vision of a more humane and sustainable way of rearing livestock. We look at scale and sustainability; working only with those farms that respect nature and focus on the best animal welfare practices.
We procure our poussin from two small poultry farms, one in New Jersey, the other in South Carolina. Both farms follow strict protocols and raise the birds humanely in open barns with plenty of space, on an all-vegetarian diet of corn, soy and clean, fresh water without any antibiotics or hormones.