Ultimate Mushroom Dressing
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: makes about 8 cups
This flavorful mushroom recipe is versatile and can be used as dressing or stuffing, made ahead, and could take additions like sausage, if desired.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 3-inch section leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1½ packages Organic Chef’s Mix Mushrooms, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups stale country bread, cut into cubes
- 3 cups best-quality garlic croutons
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- About 4-5 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add dried porcini to small bowl and cover with 1 cup water just off a boil. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons black truffle butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, and shallots; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and thyme, turning to coat; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Remove dried porcinis from the water (reserve water), squeeze out excess liquid and finely chop. Add porcini to the mushroom mixture, stir to combine. Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add bread cubes, croutons, mushroom mixture, and parsley. Toss well. Add half of the chicken stock and mix well; let sit for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile melt the remaining 2 tablespoons truffle butter and strain any sediment out of the dried mushroom liquid using a fine mesh strainer.
- Add truffle butter, porcini liquid, and another cup of stock, mix well, let sit for a few minutes. Continue to add stock and mix as needed until dressing is very moist and stock is completely absorbed. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Mix in eggs.
- Place stuffing in a casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes then remove foil and continue to bake until a top is golden brown and crusty, about 20 minutes more.