Mushroom & Shallot Butter for Steaks & Chops
- ½ ounce dried morel or porcini mushrooms, divided use
- Boiling water
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Fine sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place half of the dried mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let mushrooms steep until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Place the remaining dried mushrooms in the bowl of a spice grinder and process until completely powdered. Set aside.
- Drain the soaked mushrooms, squeezing out any excess water; dice.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, shallot, diced mushrooms, mushroom powder, and thyme leaves. Season with salt to taste and a few turns of pepper. Mix until evenly combined. Place butter in plastic wrap and roll into a log shape. Chill before using.
Recipe note: Compound butter will keep fresh for about 2 weeks in 6 refrigerator and 1 year in the freezer.