Creamy Mushroom Soup
Yield Serves 4 SERVINGS
- 1 (3oz) Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 (1lb) Organic Chef’s Mix Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce dry sherry or Madeira (optional, but recommended)
Recipe notesCream of mushroom soup is easy to make at home with our simple recipe, and it's both healthier and a lot more delicious than canned versions.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt half of the truffle butter; add shallots and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook gently about 8-10 minutes. Stir in chicken stock then raise the heat to medium-high; bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low or low. Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Remove soup from heat and cool for a few minutes. Ladle out about 2 cups of soup and set aside. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend soup in the pot on high speed until smooth. (Or transfer to a conventional blender in batches, blending on high until smooth. Return to the pot after blending.)
- Add reserved (unblended) soup back to pot. Stir in cream and oyster sauce; season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Return to heat and bring back up to a simmer. Stir in the sherry and remaining truffle butter. Serve.
Recipe tips: In place of sherry, try Tawny port or Banyuls. Top with oven roasted mushrooms or truffle butter croutons for crunch.