Chicken Corn Chowder with Bacon
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: Serves 4-6
This quick-cooking chowder is hearty, flavorful, and perfect for summer. Packed with fresh sweet corn, smoky bacon, and tender chicken, this easy recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
- 10 slices Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2-inch section leek, white and light green part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into ½” cubes
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 pieces Chicken Leg Confit, shredded off the bones
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups half & half
- Chopped fresh chives
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan. Add 1 tablespoon black truffle butter, shallots, carrots, celery, leek, and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper; saute about 2 minutes more.
- Add chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs, parsley, and bay leaf; discard. Stir in chicken confit, corn, and half of the bacon; continue to cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of black truffle butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add in half & half while whisking vigorously, until completely smooth and thickened slightly. Stir mixture into soup until completely incorporated. Serve soup with remaining crumbled bacon and chopped chives.