Vegan Chestnut Hot Chocolate
D'Artagnan | Yield: Makes about 4 eight ounce servings
This easy non-dairy European-style hot chocolate is thick, rich, subtly sweet and made with chestnuts, coconut milk and whipped coconut cream.
- 1 package Ready-to-Use Chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups coconut milk (not coconut milk beverage)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces quality dark chocolate (70% or higher)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 can coconut cream, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- Dark chocolate, for shaving
- Place the chestnuts in pitcher of a blender. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, sea salt, and cinnamon. Heat until hot but do not boil. Remove from heat then whisk in chocolate until melted.
- Pour half of the mixture over the chestnuts in the blender. Cover and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. Pour blended portion back into the saucepan and heat over low heat until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- For the topping: remove chilled coconut cream from the refrigerator without shaking. Open the can and scoop out the solidified cream (the coconut water that’s left can be used later for smoothies or cooking). Using a mixer, whip the coconut cream until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue to beat until texture resembles soft peaks, about 45 seconds more. Serve hot chocolate in warmed bowls or mugs with whipped coconut cream and chocolate shavings.