Sausage & Quinoa Dressing with Cranberries
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: makes about 5 cups
This flavorful recipe for sausage and quinoa stuffing (or dressing) is gluten-free and high-protein and will make a welcome addition at your festive meals.
- 1 cup rainbow quinoa, rinsed well
- 2½ cups chicken stock, divided use
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package Wild Boar Sausage
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 3-inch section leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Hon-Shimeji mushrooms, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Make the quinoa: To a medium saucepan add rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of the chicken stock; season with a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover and reduce to low. Simmer until quinoa has absorbed all of the stock and is fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the casings from sausage. The easiest way to do this is to make a cut lengthwise down each sausage and peel the casing away. Heat one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and crumble sausage into the pan. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a spatula, until cooked through and nicely browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- To the same pan, add 2 more tablespoons butter. When melted add celery, leeks, and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in reserved sausage and quinoa. Add remaining ½ cup of chicken stock, sage, and cranberries, turn to mix well. Remove from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add to dressing and mix well; season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in egg, mixing well.
- Place dressing in a casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F then remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more.