Potato Latkes with Foie Gras & Apples
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 6
Try our recipe for potato latkes, or savory potato pancakes, topped with silky seared foie gras & tart apples.
- 2 medium Granny Smith or other tart green apples, peeled, cored, and cut crosswise in 1/8-inch slices (reserve trimmings)
- 2/3 cup simple syrup
- 1¼ cups duck and veal demi-glace
- 2 medium-large baking potatoes (about 1¼ pounds), peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 small golden delicious or other sweet apple, peeled
- 1 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 or more tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 duck fat
- 6 foie gras slices
- Combine sliced apples with simple syrup in a bowl and soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Add apple trimmings to demi-glace, bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and keep warm.
- Grate potatoes, red apple, and onion. Gently stir in parsley, egg, and flour, and season with salt and pepper. Heat enough duck fat to measure about ½ inches deep in a large heavy skillet. Form mixture into 12 pancakes. If too moist, add a little more flour. When fat is hot, about 375 degrees F, add only as many pancakes as will comfortably fit in pan without crowding, flattening them slightly. Cook until browned and crispy on both sides, turning once. Remove with a slotted spatula, blot on paper towels, and keep warm in a warm oven. Discard fat and wipe out pan.
- Heat pan until very hot. Season foie gras with salt and pepper, and sauté until lightly browned and medium-rare inside, about 45 seconds per side.
- On warm plates, place a potato pancake, then add an apple slice and a foie gras medallion on top. Spoon on sauce, and serve.