Creamy Orzo with Bacon, Fava Beans, & Morels
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 4
This orzo recipe is fast and easy. With bacon, fresh fava beans, and morel mushrooms, it makes a great side dish for lamb, pork, chicken, or veal.
- 3 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- ¾ cup shelled fresh fava beans
- 12 fresh Morel Mushrooms, cleaned well, halved
- ½ lemon, juice + zest
- 1 cup mascarpone
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup orzo
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour out all but about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Return pan heat and increase temperature to medium-high. Add truffle butter and shallot. Sauté shallot until translucent; then add fava beans, morels, and lemon juice, continuing to cook until favas and mushrooms are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo until al dente then drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add mascarpone to the vegetable mixture, stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Add bacon and drained orzo, stir to combine. Add some reserved pasta water, a little at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. (we added about 2/3 of a cup) Stir in lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning; add salt &/or pepper, if needed. Remove to a warm serving dish, garnish with parsley and serve.