Classic Sous Vide Burgers
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 4
Make perfect burgers with our sous vide recipe. Try the classic accompaniments: American cheese, West Coast-style burger sauce, and soft potato rolls.
- 24 ounces Ground Angus Beef, or Ground Wagyu Beef
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Neutral oil, for finishing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- 4 thick slices American cheese
- 4 potato buns
- 2 tablespoons butter (for toasting, optional)
- Lettuce, tomato, pickle (optional)
- Using an immersion circulator, preheat a water bath to 132 – 137 degrees F.
- Gently form four 6-ounce patties, being careful not to overwork the meat. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Seal patties individually in vacuum bags. Cook patties in the water bath for 2-2.5 hours.
- While the patties are cooking, make the burger sauce: in a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To finish, remove the patties from the bags and place on paper towels; carefully and thoroughly pat dry. Rest for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Using a griddle, grill, or broiler, toast buns with butter, if desired.
- Heat a lightly-oiled grill or cast iron pan over very high flame. Sear or grill until a nice crust has formed, about 1 minute. Flip the patties over and top with cheese. Continue to sear about 1 minute more.
- Dress buns with reserved burger sauce, lettuce, tomato, and/or pickle (if using), patties, and bun tops. Serve immediately.