D'Artagnan | Yield: 2
This recipe for whole roast pheasant with herbs makes a delightful and elegant meal for two and is surprisingly easy.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pick all the herbs so that they are individual leaves, discard stems. Seperate 1/2 of the herbs, chop finely and set aside.
- Using your index finger, carefully seperate the pheasant skin from the breasts and thighs, being carefull not the tear the skin. Piece by piece place the whole leaf herbs evenly underneath the skin.
- Rub the softened truffle butter over the bird so that it forms a shell on the outside. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the bird in a pan atop of the peeled cipollini onions and roast in the oven for 10 minutes at 400, then lower the oven to 350 for an additional 30 minutes. While the bird is roasting, sauté the escarole with the garlic and season with salt and pepper. You might need to add a little water to make sure the escarole is soft.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with the white wine or vermouth, then add the demi-glace. Reduce by half and strain, then stir in the minced herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.