Foie Gras Jewels
D'Artagnan | Yield: makes at least 2 dozen bite-sized tarts
These tartlets are both beautiful and delicious. Puff pastry cups are filled with mousse of foie gras and topped with sparkling gelées made with sweet wine. Feel free to sub out pre-made vol-au-vent shells for an even faster canape. All three varieties of wine gelée are certainly not required but make a lovely ombré effect and offer three different flavors for very little effort.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a 2” cutter, cut out 24 rounds of puff pastry and place 2” apart on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Using 1” cutter (a jumbo pastry tip works well for this) score the center of each round without cutting all the way through.
- Bake pastry until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely. Using a paring knife, trace around the scored center of each pastry then press the center in and shake out the excess pastry, creating a vol-au-vent. (Vol-au-vents can be made a day ahead of time, if needed.)
- Remove the foie gras mousse from the refrigerator to temper. Load mousse into a pastry bag fitted with a ½” plain tip.
- Pipe a portion of mousse into the center of each vol-au-vent. Top with wine gelée. Serve.