Easy Roast Whole Duck
Yield serves 3-4 SERVINGS
- 1 whole Rohan duck, 5-6 pounds
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
Recipe notesThis recipe for roasted duck is easy and allows our Rohan duck's naturally rich flavor to shine. Add your own aromatics or spices to customize.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove neck and giblets from the cavity, reserve for stock or another use. Rinse duck in cold water and dry well with paper towels. Trim excess fat from the neck and cavity areas. Using a fork, lightly prick the duck skin all over, being careful not to pierce the meat. Season the cavity with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of the lemon. Place lemon and onion inside the cavity then truss legs with butcher’s string.
- Using a sharp paring knife, make shallow cuts in the skin over the breasts and legs being careful to only cut through the skin, not the meat. Place the duck breast-side-up on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour about 2 cups of hot water, just off the boil, over the skin to tighten it up. Leave the water in the roasting pan. Pat duck dry with paper towels and let cool. Season duck all over with salt and pepper.
- Roast breast-side-up for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and turn duck over. Roast back-side-up for another 25 minutes, then remove from oven and turn breast side up again. Finish roasting breast-side-up until the meat at the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, about 15-30 minutes more. Gently tip duck to drain any liquid from the cavity then remove to a cutting board to rest for at least 10 minutes, loosely tented with foil. Carve and serve.