Creamed Mushrooms on Toast
Yield 6 SERVINGS
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for buttering rolls
- 2 lbs Organic Chef's Mix Mushrooms, brushed clean, cut into pieces of equal size or left whole if small
- 6 small French rolls
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coarse sea salt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
Recipe notesThis simple recipe for creamy mushroom toast is rich and comforting. Try it with a knob of black truffle butter and serve on petit toasts for a luxurious party food.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes, or until they have released their liquor and reabsorbed some of it.
- Meanwhile, split the French rolls, butter them lightly, and toast them lightly under the broiler. Divide the toasted rolls equally between 6 plates (2 small halves or 1 large half on each plate).
- Add the cream to the mushrooms, stirring it in well, and continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt, then spoon the mushrooms and sauce over the rolls. Garnish with some chopped parsley, if you like.