Bacon & Cheese Stuffed Venison Burgers
- 6 slices Uncured Hickory Smoked Bacon
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces young fontina cheese, grated
- 2 packs Venison Ground Meat
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Neutral oil, we used avocado oil
- 4 brioche burger buns, split and lightly toasted
- Mayonnaise, for serving
- Mixed baby greens, for serving
Recipe notesOur ground venison makes an extra tasty “Juicy Lucy,” or cheese stuffed burger. We’ve upped the ante of this easy recipe by adding hickory smoked bacon into the mix.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels then cool completely; dice. In a medium bowl, gently mix diced bacon, cheddar, and fontina cheeses.
- Split the ground venison into 8 equal parts and form thin patties roughly the same diameter as your burger buns. (Note: venison won’t shrink as much as a beef patty during cooking.) Place a mound of the bacon/cheese mixture in the center of 4 of the patties, leaving about ¾-inch margin; top with the other 4 patties and press and pat the edges to seal. Season both sides of each patty with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat or heat a lightly-oiled grill over medium direct heat. Sear the burgers until a nice crust forms, about 3 minutes, then gently flip and continue to cook until desired doneness. For medium-rare, about 5-6 minutes total time.
- Rest patties for about 5 minutes before dressing buns, assembling, and serving.