Caldo Verde Soup with Chorizo
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: Serves 6 to 8
Our caldo verde soup recipe is healthy, hearty, and super easy to make. This Portuguese soup gets its creaminess from potatoes and chorizo sausage adds smoky richness.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 links Chorizo Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound kale or collard greens, thick ribs removed and discarded, leaves very finely shredded
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium flame, heat the olive oil. Add the chorizo, cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Remove chorizo with a slotted spoon and set aside. To the oil/chorizo fat mixture, add onion and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper then add garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté for about 2 minutes more. Add potato, chicken stock, and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a bare simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, allow the soup to cool slightly then puree in batches using a conventional blender.
- Return soup to medium-high heat and add the shredded greens and reserved chorizo. Bring soup back up to a low boil (be careful as thick soups tend to splatter). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with warmed crusty bread.
- Tip: You can make this soup up to 3 days ahead of time. Complete the recipe through step 2 and refrigerate (refrigerate cooked chorizo and shredded greens as well) until ready to serve then proceed with step three. Cooking ahead will allow the flavor to develop.