Wagyu Beef Shepherd's Pie
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 8
This simple shepherd's pie recipe puts a luxurious spin on classic comfort food, with rich Wagyu beef and decadent black truffle butter.
- 4lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quarted
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup milk, or cream
- 5 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 lbs ground wagyu beef
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, mincd
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 ½ tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp Dijon
- 1 tsp unsweetended cocoa powder
- 1/2 container veal demi-glace, dissolved with 1/2 cup hot water
- ½ cup red wine
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, add 1 tablespoon salt. Heat over medium-high flame until simmering. Cook until a fork slips in and out easily. Drain potatoes then transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until lumps are gone, about 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons black truffle butter, mix until blended. Turn mixer down to low speed. Add cream, salt and pepper to taste, and nutmeg. Do not over mix. Cover with foil, set aside.
- Heat a large Dutch-oven or other heavy pot over medium-high flame. Add ground Wagyu beef, cook, breaking up meat with a spoon or spatula until evenly browned and no longer pink. Remove meat with a spotted spoon and set aside. Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Place pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot. Cook, stirring up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add beef back to the pot. Add tomato paste, mustard and cocoa powder, mixing well to combine. Stir in peas. Add red wine and demi-glace mixture. Again, stir up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low. Maintain simmer until most liquid is evaporated and mixture reaches a thick, saucy consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Transfer meat mixture to a large baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over the top and evenly smooth over the meat using an off-set spatula. Use a fork to make an attractive swirled pattern on the top of the potatoes. Brush with melted truffle butter. Bake until top is golden brown, about 15 – 20 minutes.