Wild Scottish Grouse
Frozen / 12-14 oz avg
Grouse from weekend estate hunts in Scotland. These truly wild game birds forage and eat berries and heather, and get constant exercise, which gives their meat a distinctive flavor. Wild red grouse has a strong, gamey flavor, and lean, dark-red meat. Wild game is only available for a limited season each year.
- Red grouse hunted in Scotland
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Serves one
- Grouse has the strongest flavor of all game birds
- Subject to availability (Sometimes hunters miss)
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Season: Stock is generally available September to February
- Note: Game meat may occasionally contain the shot. Chew with caution.
- Product of Scotland
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking & Serving
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast
Cooking Tips: Wild Scottish grouse has very strong game taste and takes assertive flavors and seasonings well, like juniper berries, wine, and wild mushrooms. Barding the birds with thinly sliced bacon or rubbing them with fat before cooking will help keep the birds moist. Bread sauce and berry compotes are classic accompaniments.