Wild Scottish Grouse
This item is currently not available
- Red grouse hunted in Scotland
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Serves one
- Grouse has the strongest flavor of all game birds
- Subject to availability (Sometimes hunters miss)
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Season: Stock is generally available September to February
- Note: Game meat may occasionally contain the shot. Chew with caution.
- Product of Scotland
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast
Cooking Tips: Wild Scottish grouse has very strong game taste and takes assertive flavors and seasonings well, like juniper berries, wine, and wild mushrooms. Barding the birds with thinly sliced bacon or rubbing them with fat before cooking will help keep the birds moist. Bread sauce and berry compotes are classic accompaniments.
Our wild Scottish game is procured at private weekend estate hunts organized exclusively for D'Artagnan during hunting season. The wild birds live on game preserves and great estates in Scotland, where they forage on the moors and in the forests. Their diet of berries, heather, and foraged tundra, along with constant exercise, gives their meat a distinctive flavor.
After the hunt, the birds are immediately processed in a facility supervised by European Economic Community Inspectors. The EEC inspection satisfies the USDA laws, so we are able to offer game birds despite the prohibition on selling hunted game in the United States. The birds are packaged and sent by air to arrive at our warehouse within just two days of the hunt.