Wild Scottish Wood Pigeon
This item is currently not available
- Wood pigeon hunted in Scotland
- Truly wild, never farm-raised
- Serves one
- Stock subject to availability: generally from September to February
- Eviscerated, giblets not included
- Note: game meat may occasionally contain the shot, chew with caution
- Product of Scotland
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
- Subscription Eligible
Cooking Methods: Pan-Roast, Roast, Grill, Saute
Cooking Tips: Wild Scottish wood pigeon has a medium game flavor and takes all manner of seasoning well. Some of our favorite accompaniments are prunes, bacon or ventreche, wild mushrooms, red wine, and fresh woody herbs. As they're lean, barding with bacon or rubbing with butter or duck fat will help to keep the birds moist.
Our wild Scottish game is procured at private weekend estate hunts organized exclusively for D'Artagnan during hunting season. The wild birds live on game preserves and great estates in Scotland, where they forage on the moors and in the forests. Their diet of berries, heather, and foraged tundra, along with constant exercise, gives their meat a distinctive flavor.
After the hunt, the birds are immediately processed in a facility supervised by European Economic Community Inspectors. The EEC inspection satisfies the USDA laws, so we are able to offer game birds despite the prohibition on selling hunted game in the United States. The birds are packaged and sent by air to arrive at our warehouse within just two days of the hunt.