Challah Breakfast Bread Pudding
Yield serves 6 SERVINGS
- 3 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- ½ pound Organic Maitake Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium fresh sage leaves, chiffonade
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced Truffle Turkey Breast
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half & half
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups cubed challah bread or brioche
- Small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Recipe notesThis make-ahead challah breakfast casserole is generously studded with our truffle turkey breast, maitake mushrooms, shallots, and cheese. Prep the night before then bake it right from the fridge in under an hour.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons black truffle butter over medium flame. Add shallots, sauté until translucent then add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have softened and released most of their water. Add thyme and sage; cook about 2 minutes more. Cool.
- To a large mixing bowl, add mushroom mixture, truffle turkey, and challah bread; toss to combine evenly.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup with a pour spout, whisk together eggs and half & half; season with salt and pepper. Stir in parmesan and ½ of the cheddar. Pour egg mixture over mushroom/bread mixture and turn to coat.
- Grease a large casserole or baking dish with remaining truffle butter. Spread mixture evenly in dish and top evenly with remaining cheddar cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake, at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove casserole from the refrigerator and remove plastic. Bake until set, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley before serving warm.