Pistachio Crusted Duck Breast
D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 2
For this easy recipe, spiced pistachios make a flavorful and crunchy crust for rich roasted duck breast.
- Clean and sauté the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Combine the demi-glace and 2 cups water in a shallow pan and bring to a simmer. Season the broth to taste with salt, pepper and the Piment d’Espelette. Lightly poach the magret for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the poaching liquid to cool.
- Set up a dish with the flour, a shallow bowl with the whisked egg yolk and a third bowl with the pistachios seasoned with Piment d’Espelette.
- When the magret is cool, dredge in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in the egg wash and then roll in the pistachios. Gently move to a clean plate to allow the pistachios and coating to set in place.
- In a heavy sauté pan heat the duck fat over low heat. Gently add the magret and sauté on each side until light brown color (approx. 5 minutes on each side). Remove to a plate and allow to rest at least 5 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Reheat the mushrooms in the broth.
- Ladle some of the broth and mushrooms into a bowl and arrange the sliced magret over the top. Top with a few additional pistachios.