Momma's Fried Chicken
Jeanie Roland chef bio | Yield: Serves 6-8
This oven-fried chicken is a mainstay at both of Chef Roland’s restaurants and is almost exactly as her mom used to prepare it. Delicious hot or served cold, it makes the perfect picnic dish.
- Cut chicken into eight pieces each and soak in buttermilk overnight.
- Combine flour, paprika, dry mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl for dredging chicken.
- Drain chicken, discard buttermilk and dredge each piece in flour mixture.
- To “oven fry” chicken, heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt duck fat in two 11″ x 9″ roasting pans. When the fat is hot, carefully add chicken skin side down; shake the pan so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Five minutes into “frying,” open the oven and shake again to prevent chicken skin from sticking to the pan.
- Baste with fat on the non-skin side and turn over when the skin side is brown and crispy and the chicken is half finished cooking. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Cook a total of 50 minutes with an internal temperature of 165 degrees F then remove from oven.
- While chicken is in the oven, heat honey, and Aleppo pepper until almost simmering in a small saucepan to infuse flavor.
- Drizzle honey over chicken as a condiment.