Cannon of Lamb with Red Wine Reduction
Yield 4 SERVINGS
- 2 frenched racks of lamb
- 3 tbs salted butter
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 containers veal demi-glace
- 2 cups water
Recipe notesTry this recipe for cannon of lamb with an elegant red wine sauce. This dish comes together quickly, and the technique can be used for racks of pork or veal.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and shallots and sauté over low heat until translucent; add flour and stir to thoroughly combine. Add the wine, bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for an additional 10 minutes. Add the demi-glaze and water. Bring to a low simmer and cook slowly until reduced by half. Strain and reserve, keeping warm.
- Carefully remove the bone from the racks and save for stocks or soups. Tie the “eye” with twine so that it will hold its shape while cooking.
- Grill lamb on a barbeque or pan-sear over medium high heat until nice and brown. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes, remove twine and slice into medallions. Drizzle with reserved sauce and serve with your favorite side dishes.