Roast Poussin with Garlic & Herb Crème Fraîche
D'Artagnan | Yield: Serves 2
Our baby chickens are kept moist and juicy with a generous coating of crème fraîche that’s packed with fresh herbs, lemon zest, and garlic. This simple recipe makes a great weeknight meal alongside your favorite steamed veggies.
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup mixed soft herbs, we used tarragon, chervil, thyme, and parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Whole Poussins
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together crème fraîche, herbs, garlic, and the zest of the lemon. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pat poussins thoroughly dry with paper towels. Season each cavity with salt and pepper. Cut the lemon into quarters. Stuff each poussin with 1 quarter, set the other 2 quarters aside for serving. Truss the poussins with butcher’s string.
- Place the poussins on a rack over a small roasting pan. Completely coat each poussin on all sides with a thick coating of the crème fraîche mixture. Pour the chicken stock into the bottom of the pan and place in the oven.
- Roast until the thickest part of the poussin registers 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, about 50-60 minutes, basting once in the middle of cooking time.
- Rest poussins for 10 minutes before serving with the pan drippings.