Grilled Bison Ribeye Steak with Smoky Onions & Roquefort
D'Artagnan | Yield: 2
Full-flavored bison ribeye steaks star in this easy recipe. We topped them with caramelized onions and creamy bleu cheese for a sweet and salty kick.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Bison Ribeye Steaks
- 3 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
- In a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onions, toss to coat. Cook, until onions are completely soft and caramel in color, stirring occasionally and scraping up any fond that forms in the pan, about 30 minutes. If onions get too dark, too fast, turn the heat to medium-low. Once caramelized, season with coarse salt and stir in smoked paprika. Turn the heat back up to medium if it was turned down. Add chicken stock, scraping browned bits from the pan. Cook until stock is almost completely reduced and onions are saucy. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium-high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Lightly oil hot grates.
- Let steaks stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Season both sides of each steak with coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Grill steaks for about 3-4 minutes on the first side. Using tongs, flip each steak to the other side and grill for another 3-4 minutes, or until desired doneness. We suggest medium-rare, which would register 125 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Let steaks rest for 5-6 minutes before topping with caramelized onions and crumbled bleu cheese.