Duck Leg Confit
Jeanie Roland chef bio | Yield: Serves 4
With just a few simple ingredients, this traditional food of Southwest France is well worth making from scratch at home.
- Trim excess fat from duck legs.
- Crush all the spices in spice grinder.
- Rub legs with grated garlic and spice blend and refrigerate covered for 3 days.
- Warm duck fat until softened or liquid.
- Place legs in baking dish; cover with warmed duck fat.
- Cook in a low oven, uncovered, at 275 degrees F for 4 – 6 hours, depending on the oven and the size of the legs. When the legs are done, the meat will naturally pull away from the tip of the drum exposing the bone.
- Remove from oven and cool in the fat.
- When cooled, remove duck legs, wipe the excess fat away, and save the rest of the fat for another purpose. It can be used to cook with again.