Duck Fat Gaufrettes with Caviar
- Prepare a small bowl of cold water with a few ice cubes. Using a mandolin with a waffle-cut attachment, slice the potato as thinly as possible, turning it 90 degrees after each pass to create a waffle pattern. Carefully place each slice into the ice water.
- In a medium skillet set over medium heat, melt the duck fat. Carefully pour in peanut oil and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Remove the slices from the iced water and thoroughly blot dry with paper towels.
- When the oil temperature reaches about 375 degrees F, fry the potato slices, working in batches and turning once, until golden and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining potato slices.
- To serve: Top each chip with a dollop of crème fraîche and crown with chilled caviar.