D'Artagnan Rohan Duck, Whole
- D’Artagnan exclusive
- Unique heritage crossbreed
- Raised to D'Artagnan's exacting standards
- Lean with less fat than a Pekin duck
- Vegetarian diet includes corn and soy
- No antibiotics, no hormones - ever
- Air-chilled; no added water
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Sold in two sizes: 5-5½ lbs and 5½-6 lbs
- Neck and giblets included
- Product of USA
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
NOTE: It is normal to find some pin feathers or feather shafts on whole ducks. They are easily removed with needle nose pliers, tweezers, or simply your fingers.
Cooking Methods: Roast, Poach, Smoke
Cooking Tips: Using a fork, prick the skin all over before roasting a whole duck to help the fat render. Add aromatics like shallots, citrus, garlic, and/or herbs to the cavity for flavor. Using a rack or vertical roaster in a shallow roasting pan will allow the skin to crisp nicely. Save the precious rendered fat for another use.
The D’Artagnan Rohan™ duck is a proprietary hybrid of several duck breeds including the Heritage Mallard and the Pekin, and is raised exclusively for us on a farm in New York State.
Like our other ducks, the Rohans are raised cage-free, in open barns with plenty of space and sunlight and eat a vegetarian diet of corn, soy and fresh, clean water.
The ducks are hand-processed on the farm in a USDA-inspected plant. A superior air-chilling process means that the ducks do not retain water, which can affect texture, taste and weight.