Croissant Breakfast Bread Pudding
Yield Serves 6 SERVINGS
- 1 pound croissants (about 8), cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter, divided use
- 3-inch piece of leek, white and light green parts only, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ package Organic Chef's Mix Mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups diced Berkshire Pork Smoked Ham (about 1 pound)
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups half & half
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Recipe notesThis savory breakfast casserole packed with smoky ham, sautéed mushrooms, and cheddar cheese, is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Prep the night before then bake it right from the fridge in under an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange croissant halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet; toast in the oven until golden brown, 5-10 minutes (watching carefully to ensure they don’t burn). Cool, then tear croissants into quarters; set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of truffle butter. Add leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove leeks to the bowl of croissants. Add another tablespoon of truffle butter to the pan and raise heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, turning to coat; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have expelled all of their water and they start to turn golden, about 10-15 minutes. Add thyme, saute about one minute more. Add mushrooms to the croissant mixture.
- Add ham to the mixing bowl with the croissant mixture and toss well to combine. In a bowl or large measuring cup with a pour spout, whisk eggs. Stir in cream and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over croissant mixture and fold to combine.
- Grease a large casserole or baking dish with the remaining tablespoon of truffle butter. Spread mixture evenly in the dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to bake, at least 3 hours, up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove casserole from the refrigerator and remove plastic. Bake until set, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with chives before serving warm.