D'Artagnan chef bio | Yield: 6
Try our chili recipe with bison meat and French Tarbais beans for a variation on the classic one-pot meal. Make a day ahead for best results. Serve with your favorite toppings and cornbread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 minced jalapeno, seeded and deveined
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 4 tablespoons ancho chili puree or 2 1/2 tablespoons high-quality chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2-2 1/2 lbs. Ground Bison
- 3 cups cooked Tarbais Coco Beans
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toppings, such as chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, salsa, or sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground bison meat. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat until just smoking. Add onion and celery and cook until lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in garlic and jalapeno. Cook for about one minute. Stir in cumin, coriander, oregano, and bay leaves. Cook briefly just to toast a little, about one minute. Add brown sugar and tomatoes, and cook a few minutes to blend ingredients.
- Stir in stock, chili puree, and vinegar. Stir in browned bison. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours. Add beans in the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with any or all of the garnishes.