BBQ Pulled Duck Sandwiches
Jennifer Hess chef bio | Yield: 4
Transform our fully-cooked duck leg confit with a rich homemade barbecue sauce in this easy Surprise everyone with pulled duck BBQ sandwiches at your next cookout.
- 4 Duck Leg Confit, skin discarded, meat shredded off the bone (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup beer, water, or chicken stock
- 4 soft kaiser rolls
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 4 to 8 dill pickles, sliced
- 1/4 cup organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To make the sauce: Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, Creole mustard, Worcestershire, and chipotle pepper in a small non-reactive saucepan, uncovered, over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Transfer the sauce to a blender and purée. Return the sauce to the pan. Simmer, uncovered, for at least 45 minutes and up to 1 hour until reduced and thickened.
- Combine the meat, 1 cup of the prepared sauce, and liquid base (either beer, water or chicken stock) in a large pot and cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced. Spoon onto rolls, top with pickles, and serve.