Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Chili Sauce
Cook Time about 25 minutes
Yield serves 4 as a main or 6 as an appetizer SERVINGS
- 2/3 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 8 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut in half lengthwise
- 16 large sea scallops
Recipe notesTry this easy recipe for sea scallops wrapped in our applewood smoked bacon. Take the extra step to par-cook the bacon so it will crisp without over-cooking the delicate scallops.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Keep scallops chilled the refrigerator until step 4.
- Place bacon slices on a rack set over a rimmed sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- While bacon is cooking, make the chili sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Sambal Oelek, paprika, and a generous squeeze of lime. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel and remove the small side muscle, if still attached. Wrap each scallop in a slice of the cooled, par-cooked bacon and secure the ends with a toothpick.
- Place scallops on the same rack over the same sheet pan and bake until bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Brush the scallops with rendered bacon fat from the bottom of the sheet pan. Sear scallops until golden, about 20 seconds on each side. Serve immediately with chili sauce on the side.