Peruvian Aji Verde for Grilled Meats
D'Artagnan | Yield: makes about 2 cups
This highly-addictive Peruvian green sauce is often served alongside roasted chicken, grilled meats, and even empanadas. We love it as a no-cook sauce for steaks and chops. It's creamy and cool with just enough heat.
- 2-3 jalapeños, about half of the ribs & seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Aji Amarillo paste
- 1 packed cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small ripe avocado (or ½ large), diced
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese
- 1 fresh lime, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To the bowl of a food processor, add jalapeños, Aji Amarillo paste, cilantro, mayonnaise, avocado, cotija cheese, lime zest and juice, garlic, and vinegar. Pulse until mixture is blended then process until smooth; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauce can be made several days in advance; store covered in the refrigerator.