Wild Boar Shanks
- Truly wild boar
- Natural diet of grass, roots, nuts, fruits, acorns, and grains
- Humanely trapped
- No hormones, no antibiotics
- USDA inspected
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Ships frozen, may thaw in transit
- 2 pieces per pack
- Product of USA
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
The deeply flavored meat of this cut (from just above the knee joint of a wild boar hind leg) is very lean, high in gelatin, and is best prepared using a slow, moist cooking method such as braising. This allows all the connective tissues and marrow to break down and create a thick sauce as it cooks. Be sure to have potatoes or bread to soak up all the delicious juices.
We partner with experienced trappers in Texas to provide wild boar that is just that - truly wild. The animals are humanely cage trapped in Texas, and then brought to USDA-inspected plants for processing, the same as farm-raised hogs.
Because of the growing numbers of wild boar in Texas, the law permits year-round hunting of these feral hogs. Our process is good for the environment and the local farmers, because the boar are quite destructive to crops, trees and other plant life.
Since we use large cages that do not harm the boar, and process them properly, we can offer this wild game meat under USDA law, which forbids hunted game to be sold.