Veal Top Round
Imported, French, milk-fed veal - exclusively available in the U.S. at D'Artagnan. Arguably the most humanely-raised and best-tasting veal available in the market, our veal comes from a cooperative of small-scale veal farms in Southwest France that raise Charolais and Limousin breeds of cattle (known for meat, not dairy) and follow the stringent European Union 5 Freedoms system to provide the best environment for the calves, which are never caged or penned and are antibiotic- and hormone-free.
Just the facts
- Exclusively available at D’Artagnan
- Humanely raised in a stress-free environment
- Never caged or penned
- 5 Freedoms compliant, a strict EU standard
- Male Charolais and Limousin breeds
- Raised to 6 months, a maximum of 450 pounds
- Milk-fed; 14 days on mother’s milk, then a high-quality natural milk formula
- No antibiotics or hormones
- Never irradiated or injected with any substance
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Product of France
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Veal top round is the source of beautiful thin cutlets for classic veal dishes like scaloppini and piccata. Lemon, garlic, and capers make good companions, as do buttery mushrooms.
Velvety and moist, tight-textured veal is a treat for the taste buds. So there's no need to get elaborate with preparation. Let the sweet meat speak for itself.
This cut can also serve as a lovely roast, but because it is so lean you’ll want to keep a close watch on it. Even a few extra minutes in the oven can dry it out and impact the delicate texture.
Our French veal offers tender, pink meat with real flavor, unlike the pale veal more widely available.