Imported, French, milk-fed veal - exclusively available in the U.S. at D'Artagnan. Arguably the most humanely-raised and best-tasting veal available in the market, our veal comes from a cooperative of small-scale veal farms in Southwest France that raise Charolais and Limousin breeds of cattle (known for meat, not dairy) and follow the stringent European Union 5 Freedoms system to provide the best environment for the calves, which are never caged or penned and are antibiotic- and hormone-free.
Just the facts
- Exclusively available at D’Artagnan
- Humanely raised in a stress-free environment
- Never caged or penned
- 5 Freedoms compliant, a strict EU standard
- Male Charolais and Limousin breeds
- Raised to 6 months, a maximum of 450 pounds
- Milk-fed; 14 days on mother’s milk, then a high-quality natural milk formula
- No antibiotics or hormones
- Never irradiated or injected with any substance
- Sold in an uncooked state
- Product of France
- For best taste on fresh products, use or freeze within 3-5 days of receipt; for frozen products, use within 1-2 days after thawing
Because veal is already so tender when you get to the tenderloin, you experience a whole new level of lush texture and incredible taste. A favorite cut of our chef clients, the tenderloin is not often sold in its entirety, but we are happy to offer it to you here.
This most tender of cuts can be sliced into thick medallions, browned in a pan then finished in the oven. Deglaze the pan with veal demi-glace and a splash of wine; drizzle the finished sauce over the medallions.
Go ahead: gild the lily with a pat of truffle butter. Veal tenderloin deserves it.