Truffled Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed & cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons Black Truffle Butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Black Truffle Flavored Oil
- 1 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Recipe notesCreamy and decadent, this classic French-style vegetable gratin makes any meal extra special.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-3 quart shallow gratin or casserole.
- Bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Blanche the cauliflower for 3 minutes. Drain. Add cauliflower to prepared pan, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir together milk and half & half. Heat until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy sauce pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of black truffle butter. Stir in flour, whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly until lightly golden. Slowly add the hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Continue whisking for about 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add salt, black pepper, and black truffle flavored oil. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Gruyere and all of the Parmesan cheese. Pour sauce evenly over reserved cauliflower.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of truffle butter. In a small bowl, stir together butter, panko bread crumbs and the remaining 1/2 cup of Gruyere. Spread evenly over gratin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until and cauliflower is tender and top is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool and rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.