Spicy Veal Osso Buco with Cumin Strozzapreti
Yield 4 SERVINGS
- 4 Veal Osso Buco
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into small dice
- 3 celery stalks, washed and cut into small dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 35-ounce can peeled and chopped San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE PASTA
- 2 cups durum wheat flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon toasted cumin seeds, ground
Recipe notesThis spicy osso buco recipe is meltingly tender and full of flavor, and the homemade pasta - called strozzapreti in Italian - is definitely worth a little extra work.
- For the pasta: Place durum flour in a medium mixing bowl or kitchen aid bowl with a dough hook.
- Add water gradually and cumin and salt. Mix until well kneaded (about 2 minutes). Let dough rest, covered, for approximately 15 minutes.
- When well-rested, pinch small pea-sized balls and shape on a wooden work surface very lightly floured - using your index, middle, and ring finger roll towards you until it’s a strand-like shape. Repeat with remaining dough and place on a tray dusted with semolina so that they do not stick.
- When ready to cook, boil in salted boiling water in batches - about 7 minutes each batch and you can hold strozzapreti in mixing bowl with olive oil and a bit more cumin seeds until all cooked.
- For the veal: Dredge veal osso buco in flour and season well with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the osso buco on both sides until golden brown, about 7 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to low, remove veal, and place on a plate.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, and carrot and cook, stirring, until tender about 7 minutes. Add red wine and balsamic vinegar and reduce to a syrupy consistency, about 35 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices, 2 cups water, and beef broth. Increase heat to medium and add osso buco, crushed red pepper flakes, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, partially cover and allow to simmer until meat is tender, about 2 ½ hours.
- If sauce is too thin, remove osso buco to a dish and keep warm, covered, and continue simmering the cooking liquid, uncovered, until it has thickened to the desired consistency. Return osso buco to pot and season to taste.
- To serve, place strozzapreti in a bowl and place osso buco on top with sauce.