Roasted Chicken with Garlic Scapes, Croutons & Lemon
Alissa Dicker Schrieber chef bio | Yield: 4 | Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
This crispy roasted chicken recipe has layers of flavor from lemon slices, garlic scapes, and andouille sausage.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour 6 tablespoons olive oil into a roasting pan.
- Cut the lemons into slices about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick and arrange in a single layer in the roasting pan.
- Scatter the garlic scapes over the layer of lemon slices. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Tear the bread into large cubes and scatter them over the garlic scapes. Drizzle the bread lightly with the remaining olive oil.
- Cut the sausage into 3/4-inch slices and throughout the roasting pan.
- Cut the chicken into eighths, and cut each of the breasts into two pieces. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and lay all of the chicken except for the breasts on top of the bread chunks. Drizzle the chicken pieces lightly with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, then roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the remaining chicken pieces to the pan and continue roasting. After another 20 minutes, baste the chicken with some of the juices that have collected at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for another 20 minutes. Insert a knife into the chicken’s thigh; the chicken is done if the juices run clear and/or the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.