Small-Batch Porcelet Carnitas
D'Artagnan | Yield: serves 2-4
Our Porcelet collar roast makes the most tender and flavorful small-batch carnitas, perfect for tacos for 2 to 4 people.
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lard or neutral oil (we used avocado oil)
- 1 Porcelet Collar Roast, cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of 2 medium oranges
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- Tortillas, for serving
- Garnishes of your choice, we like salsa verde, cilantro, red onion, queso fresco, and pickled jalapeños
- To a blender, add onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, cumin, cloves, about 1 teaspoon salt, about ½ teaspoon black pepper, and water. Pureé until smooth.
- In a large Dutch-oven or other heavy, lidded pot, heat about 3 tablespoons of lard or oil over medium-high heat. Season porcelet with salt; brown on all sides until a nice crust forms, about 6-8 minutes. With a splatter screen at hand, carefully pour in onion mixture (it will bubble and spurt); when the spurting dies down, stir to coat. Add bay leaf; bring mixture to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in orange juice, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. Return mixture to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook, checking and stirring occasionally until porcelet easily breaks apart, about 2 hours. Uncover, raise heat to medium-high and cook for 8-10 minutes more.
- For soft carnitas: Remove the porcelet to a warm serving platter with a slotted spoon. Shred meat with a pair of forks; ladle a spoon of the cooking liquid over the top.
- For crispy carnitas: Remove the porcelet to a sheet pan with a slotted spoon. Shred meat with a pair of forks. Heat a broiler to high with the rack about 8” away from the element. Watching carefully, broil until edges of carnitas are crispy and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of your choice.