Ponzu Marinated Skirt Steak
- ½ cup ponzu, we used Marukan brand
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, we used Kadoya brand
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce, we used Red Boat brand
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and rough chopped
- 1” piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- Neutral oil, we used avocado oil
- 1 Angus Beef Outside Skirt Steak (about 2.25lbs), well-cleaned and trimmed into 4 equal sized steaks
- Rice, for serving
- In a non-reactive container large enough to fit all four steaks, whisk together ponzu, lime juice, honey, sesame oil, fish sauce, garlic, and ginger. Add steaks, turning to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 4 hours.
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you start to cook. Remove from the marinade, brushing away any pieces of garlic or ginger. Discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and allow to come to room temperature.
- If grilling, preheat an oiled grill over medium-high direct heat. If cooking on the stovetop, heat about a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron or heavy skillet. Sear steaks until a nice crust forms, about 3 minutes. Turn steaks over and cook until they reach desired temperature, about 2-3 more minutes for medium-rare. Rest steaks for 5-7 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.
Recipe Tips: As this marinade has lime juice in it, try not to marinate longer than the suggested time. If cooking on the stovetop, use a screen to avoid hot oil spatter and cook in batches if necessary as to not overcrowd the pan.