Parmesan-Crusted Veal Chops with Creamy Lemon-Herb Sauce
Yield serves 2
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fine bread crumbs
- 2 Veal Chops Milanese
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup Veal Demi-Glace
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fines herbes, such as chervil, parsley, chives, and tarragon
Recipe notesHere’s a simple veal dish that comes together quickly and is packed with flavor – perfect for weeknight dinner. Fines herbes and lemon zest keep the creamy pan-sauce fresh and light.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread flour on a plate. In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water. In a shallow bowl or lipped plate, stir together parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Season the veal chops with salt and pepper. Coat both sides of each chop with flour, dust off excess. Dip each chop into egg mixture, making sure the meat is thoroughly coated. Let excess egg drip off, then coat each chop with the breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing the crumbs into the meat. Lay chops on a plate to allow the coating to set.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high flame. When oil shimmers, add the chops and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes each side. Put the pan in the oven and continue to cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a chop registers 145 - 150 degrees F, about 15 minutes. Remove chops to a cutting board and allow them to rest.
- Pour off any fat that has collected in the pan then return it to medium-high heat. Add demi-glace and water, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until mixture has reduced by half. Whisk in mustard and lemon zest, continue to cook for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low then whisk in heavy cream and herbs. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and/or pepper, if desired. Cook gently on low until slightly thickened.
- Serve chops with the sauce and your favorite seasonal vegetables.