Yield Serves 4 SERVINGS
FOR THE SLAW
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ Asian pear, cored, seeded, and shredded
- ½ cup shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ celery rib, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped fresh red chile, optional
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
FOR THE KATSU SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons apple butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
FOR THE BURGERS
- 4 Wagyu Burgers
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs + 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Peanut oil
- Japanese mayonnaise, such as QP
- 4 potato rolls
Recipe notesFor this Wagyu burger recipe patties are breaded with crunchy panko coating, then topped with tangy slaw, Asian pear, and homemade Japanese-style barbecue sauce.
- Make the slaw: in a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, rice vinegar, and honey. Add pear, both cabbages, celery, scallion, cilantro, chile (if using), and sesame seeds. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl whisk together mirin, soy sauce, and sugar until dissolved. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, apple butter, Dijon, horseradish, garlic powder, and allspice. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Set up 3 rimmed plates for dredging. In one add flour, season with salt and pepper. In the next, add eggs and water, beat lightly. In the last plate, add panko. Season each patty with salt and pepper. Bread each patty, starting with the flour, then egg mixture, then panko. Take care to coat each patty evenly at each step. Place breaded patties on a clean plate to set up.
- Heat an inch of peanut oil in a large cast iron skillet to about 360 degrees F. Fry the patties until medium-rare and golden, about 3 minutes each side. Drain on paper towels and rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Dress the potato buns with mayo on both sides and place a portion of slaw on each bottom bun. Place the patties and drizzle with katsu sauce. Add the top buns. Serve immediately.