Instant Pot Fennel-Rubbed Pork Ribs
- 2 racks Berkshire Pork Baby Back Ribs
- Kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoons freshly ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen
- Prep the ribs: Remove the membrane from the back of the rack, then cut into individual ribs by slicing between each bone. Leave at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon salt, ground fennel seeds, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and several grinds of black pepper. Add ribs and toss in spice mixture, using your hands to make sure all the ribs are evenly coated.
- Place the ribs in the Instant Pot neatly in 2 layers. Add apple juice and soy sauce.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the release valve to sealed position. Cook the ribs on high pressure for 25 minutes; turn the Instant Pot off and ‘Quick Release’ steam.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill to medium-high, direct flame. Or if not grilling, preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer ribs to a sheet pan and set aside. Use the ‘saute’ function on the instant pot to reduce the cooking liquid by half. Brush ribs with liquid. Grill the meat-side down (or broil meat-side up) until nicely caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons salt and fennel pollen. Lightly sprinkle fennel salt over ribs before serving.
Recipe Tips: These ribs can be pressure cooked up to a day ahead – follow steps 1-4 then refrigerate both the ribs and sauce until ready to grill the next day. While serving 4 as a main course, these ribs make an excellent party appetizer and will feed about 8. Garnish with fresh fennel fronds for a festive touch.