Instant Pot Sticky Hoisin Ribs
- 2 racks Berkshire Pork Baby Back Ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ⅛ cup honey
- ⅛ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Prep the ribs: Remove the membrane from the back of the rack, then cut into individual ribs by slicing between each bone. Season ribs with about 1 teaspoon salt and several grinds of white pepper, then leave at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
- To the Instant Pot add hoisin, dark soy sauce, honey, pineapple juice, Shaoxing rice wine, sambal oelek, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil; whisk until mixed. Add the ribs and toss to coat then using tongs, arrange neatly in 2 layers.
- Close and lock the lid and turn the release valve to sealed position. Cook the ribs on high pressure for 25 minutes; turn the Instant Pot off and ‘Quick Release’ steam.
- Transfer ribs to a sheet pan, tent with foil, and set aside. Pour the cooking liquid into a fat separator; remove and discard fat. Add the de-fatted liquid back to the Instant Pot and using the ‘Saute’ function, reduce by half, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high, direct flame. Or if not grilling, preheat broiler to high.
- Brush ribs with sauce. Grill meat-side down (or broil meat-side up) until nicely caramelized, about 5-7 minutes, brushing with sauce one more time while they’re browning. Serve with remaining sauce on the side.
Recipe Tips: These ribs can be pressure cooked up to a day ahead – follow steps 1-4 then refrigerate both the ribs and sauce until ready to grill the next day. While serving 4 as a main course, these sticky ribs make an excellent party appetizer and will feed about 8. Arrange ribs on a platter and garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro for a festive look.